• I used to believe there is a tech talent shortage, I'm convinced now that is far from the truth

• Fscking Moron
      • Posted 09/13/2017 09:44 AM - Hide
      • I guess "Talent" is a relative term but I've placed test ads for developers and got floods of resumes. Many are unemployed too and have better portfolios than I do.
      •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Fscking Moron
      • Re: I used to believe there is a tech talent shortage, I'm convinced now that is far from the truth
        Posted 09/13/2017 09:51 AM - Hide
      • No one lies on a resume. Especially when they are unemployed and desperate and "know" they can learn a need once hired for that job.
      • Fscking Moron
      • Re: I used to believe there is a tech talent shortage, I'm convinced now that is far from the truth
        Posted 09/13/2017 10:21 AM - Hide
      • VP_Spiro_T_Cheney posted:
        Plenty of shitty unproductive workers but top talent is and always has been scarce.

600-pounds, unemployable, GED, etc...

:rolleyes:
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 10:36 AM - Hide
      • In addition, "development" has become much easier over the years with advanced programming and debugging environments, huge amounts of free code, information and documentation to deal with bugs, etc.

Originally, it was just the command line, a text editor, and a compiler, and RTFM if you ran into a problem. It took lots of brain power and ingenuity to produce good software.

Now, any idiot can download vasts amount of good code and modify it so it does the job, even if not the best possible.
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 11:04 AM - Hide
      • The NFIB (small business organization) did a recent survey, and the biggest obstacle small businesses are facing right now is "shortage of qualified workers"

Now they don't go into details or define terms too closely. It's just a survey.

But first all, lets look at "small businesses". There are 22 million of them, and most of them are not high tech or high skill businesses. Yes, there are architectural firms, and law firms, and software companies, but there are more restaurants, construction, and nail salons.

So that leads us to "qualified" What does that mean exactly? Do they lack education? Training? Experience? Or just general skills like intelligence and hard working?

Finally, we think about "shortage". Are the workers unavailable at a compensation package you're able to afford? Or are the employees simply unavailable? (like an astronaut. Very rare skill)

I am very suspicious. I suspect that because of Obamacare and also the economy, I think small businesses just can't offer the compensation that skilled workers require. It's the pains of a growing inflation. It's a very old problem.
          [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 11:04 AM - Hide
      • VP_Spiro_T_Cheney posted:
        Plenty of shitty unproductive workers

Yeah, and you're one of them, jackass. :fuckyou:
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 11:42 AM - Hide
      • Talent is a very specific skill that the company needs at the moment. Not some moron who is going to take a month getting up to speed. That is rare.
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 12:25 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        VP_Spiro_T_Cheney posted:
        Plenty of shitty unproductive workers

\
        ;spankabeetus;

Yeah, and you're one of them, jackass. :fuckyou:
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 01:19 PM - Hide
      • Shortage of qualified people is code for the people are not cheap enough. Bring us H1Bs.
          [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 01:23 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        Shortage of qualified people is code for the people are not cheap enough. Bring us H1Bs.

Seems companies love to pay high salaries for coders.
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 01:27 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        . posted:
        Shortage of qualified people is code for the people are not cheap enough. Bring us H1Bs.

Seems companies love to pay high salaries for coders.

No they dont. I see the billing rates where I am and nobody is making anything like what the media says. Top billing rates are about 115/hour for PM's, architects, DBAs and BAs. Developers are getting in the 80s/90s per hour.

Keep in mind thats the billing rate, not their cut. Figure the company is taking 30-50% off the top of that.
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 01:32 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        No they dont. I see the billing rates where I am and nobody is making anything like what the media says. Top billing rates are about 115/hour for PM's, architects, DBAs and BAs. Developers are getting in the 80s/90s per hour.

Keep in mind thats the billing rate, not their cut. Figure the company is taking 30-50% off the top of that.

I would say 50 - 75%

Companies usually like a 3x margin.
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 01:35 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        . posted:

I would say 50 - 75%

Companies usually like a 3x margin.

Depends if you are an H1B or not. On Americans their margin is a lot less but on H1Bs it can be huge.
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 01:38 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        The NFIB (small business organization) did a recent survey, and the biggest obstacle small businesses are facing right now is "shortage of qualified workers"

But first all, lets look at "small businesses". There are 22 million of them, and most of them are not high tech or high skill businesses. Yes, there are architectural firms, and law firms, and software companies, but there are more restaurants, construction, and nail salons.

So that leads us to "qualified" What does that mean exactly? Do they lack education? Training? Experience? Or just general skills like intelligence and hard working?

Finally, we think about "shortage". Are the workers unavailable at a compensation package you're able to afford? Or are the employees simply unavailable? (like an astronaut. Very rare skill)

I am very suspicious. I suspect that because of Obamacare and also the economy, I think small businesses just can't offer the compensation that skilled workers require. It's the pains of a growing inflation. It's a very old problem.

In short, companies want someone else to invest in the work force while they reap the rewards.
        They aren't willing to train anyone and thus the extinction of the entry level position.

Entry level jobs now require 2 years of experience.
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 09/13/2017 01:40 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        . posted:
        The NFIB (small business organization) did a recent survey, and the biggest obstacle small businesses are facing right now is "shortage of qualified workers"

In short, companies want someone else to invest in the work force while they reap the rewards.
        They aren't willing to train anyone and thus the extinction of the entry level position.

Entry level jobs now require 2 years of experience.

Maybe even more in some cases.
      • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
      Save
      Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.
      Pro tips: Click the angry emojis for popular emoticons/fomotes. Check the trending fomotes for new fomotes.
      • Breaking News:
      • View Topic - I don't believe Comey. I know Trump NEVER EVER lies or shades the truth.
      • View Topic - After reading this article, I see why there is a tech talent shortage
      • View Topic - Leading outsourcing CEO - Trump is gonna fuck us up and there's no shortage of American tech workers
      • View Topic - Why do you faggots refuse to believe the truth about Don the Con?
      • View Topic - I believe in Christianity, but I convinced my dad to be an atheist so he'd be sent to hell. It worked!
      • View Topic - A few weeks ago a manager for a company I applied to explained to me what the developer talent shortage is