• HAL computer in Kubrick's Space 2001 was named after brilliant Apollo computer scientist

• Buzz Aldrin
    • Fscking Moron
    • Re: HAL computer in Kubrick's Space 2001 was named after brilliant Apollo computer scientist
      Posted 09/02/2017 12:53 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Aldrin decided to leave the radar on when it wasn't needed or planned for.

I'll knock you the fuck out, you punk. I've been to the goddamn moon, you can't get out of your mother's basement. THE GODDAMN MOON! And I should have been first, not that pansy Armstrong.
    •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
    • Texas Crazypants
    • Fscking Moron
    • Re: HAL computer in Kubrick's Space 2001 was named after brilliant Apollo computer scientist
      Posted 09/02/2017 05:12 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Kubrick was technical advisor for NASA at the time of the Apollo program. Kubrick was inspired by NASA and NASA was inspired by Kubrick.

For example, the famous shots where the Apollo first or second stage is seen from inside the rocket dropping off and earth is seen below are probably filmed by Kubrick - the earth does not move in those shots even if the rocket is going very fast.

All of that is true, but it has nothing to do with naming the computer in 2001 HAL.

H + 1 = I
      A + 1 = B
      L + 1 = M

And at the time 2001 was made, IBM was the biggest and best known computer company in the world.

Only a complete retard would think that it's all just a big coincidence.
    • Really Justtin Sane
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 09/02/2017 05:24 PM - Hide
    • Deputy_Winston posted:
      Bullshit.
      HAL = IBM one letter off.

Clever :thumbup::lol:
    • Really Justtin Sane
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 09/02/2017 05:25 PM - Hide
    • Buzz Aldrin posted:
      . posted:
      Aldrin decided to leave the radar on when it wasn't needed or planned for.

I'll knock you the fuck out, you punk. I've been to the goddamn moon, you can't get out of your mother's basement. THE GODDAMN MOON! And I should have been first, not that pansy Armstrong.

:lmao:
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 09/02/2017 05:56 PM - Hide
    • Texas Crazypants posted:
      All of that is true, but it has nothing to do with naming the computer in 2001 HAL.

H + 1 = I
      A + 1 = B
      L + 1 = M

And at the time 2001 was made, IBM was the biggest and best known computer company in the world.

Only a complete retard would think that it's all just a big coincidence.

Ummm, can you find the name and quote from circa 1960s-1970s from the CEO of IBM stating that the computer is just a fad that will pass? Serious.
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 09/02/2017 06:22 PM - Hide
    • This thread has legs.
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 09/02/2017 06:32 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      HAL was named after Haleischa Tucker, one of the brilliant "Hidden Figures" African-American mathematicians who made the Apollo program possible.

...except that she went by "Hallie" and was a strict AME Zion woman who would never have gotten involved with Kubrick's satanic Eyes Wide Shut tricknology.
  • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
Save
Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.
Pro tips: Click the angry emojis for popular emoticons/fomotes. Check the trending fomotes for new fomotes.
  • Breaking News:
  • View Topic - The Obama years were like watching 2001 A Space Odyssey in reverse.
  • View Topic - GONTELISTS: Wood yew heavily busty Stanford-trained MULTIPLE PhD Space Scientist celestial body Sigrid Close?
  • View Topic - Pink Floyd Echoes and 2001 A Space Odyssey
  • View Topic - trying to watch 2001 a space oddissey for the first time.
  • View Topic - MGM to remaster 2001: A Space Odyssey with all new digital CGI and restoration of the 'lost' narration.
  • View Topic - What do libs call the star child in 2001: a space odyssey ?