• There is still a wealth of manufacturing knowhow that exists in the midwest. A shitload of hi IQ folks with a can do mentality..

• Fscking Moron
    • Re: There is still a wealth of manufacturing knowhow that exists in the midwest. A shitload of hi IQ folks with a can do mentality..
      Posted 01/08/2017 08:12 PM - Hide
    • DrifterBee posted:
      I see a lot less of this mid-level technologist thing..

Desktop Support
      System Administrator
      Architect / System Integration

Which of those 3 are being cut?

---

The sysadmin use to be where "the rubber meets the road" in most IT environments. Docker, VM, managed service platforms.. Sysadmins move up or a lot of them are going to be doing desktop support. Caring for a mail server is no longer a "job"

Lets look at manufacturing if you think my example is too IT centric.

* Engineer designs a system to automate a welding process

* Someone to care for the robots? Ok, but how sharp does this person need to be? Could he also be the IT guy? If something really goes wrong, he can call the manufacturer to send out a field engineer. Maybe he puts a replacement robot in place and loads the program? The designated robot repair guy? (in TV, this position was the transmitter engineer, it's been contracted out in a lot of cases)

* The Welder (He's gone for everything that can't be done by hand.)

---

So, the mid-level isn't safe. He's not necessarily safer than the person who manually does something that the machine can't. But the troubleshooting/thinking job between the engineer and the end user is being replaced with "middleware" or "smart machines" to either escalate it to the off-site engineer OR its a board swap done by whomever is onsite to swap a board. Maybe the janitor.

This is scary to me because there are a lot of people who fall into the lower two tiers, sometimes myself included, and we aren't going to have jobs for a lot of them.

And how many of those jobs existed 50 years ago. None, because they didn't exist.

Things change. How many milk delivery men do you see now? How many lamp lighters or switchboard operators are out there now?

Stop worrying so much.
    •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
    • Fscking Moron
    • Re: There is still a wealth of manufacturing knowhow that exists in the midwest. A shitload of hi IQ folks with a can do mentality..
      Posted 01/08/2017 08:44 PM - Hide
    • Jack Brisco posted:
      And she's never done anything useful.
      \
      :chickenhawk:
    •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
  • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
Save
Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.
Pro tips: Click the angry emojis for popular emoticons/fomotes. Check the trending fomotes for new fomotes.
  • Breaking News:
  • View Topic - Michigan is 80% white and full of unemployed manufacturing folks. Why wouldn't it vote for Trump?