• What was the first "fantasy" TV show where the time is the present but the history is seriously divergent.

• Posted 10/12/2017 04:03 PM : Edited 10/12/2017 04:05 PM - Hide
      • I mean shows like Walking Dead or Designated Survivor where no plot time is given to making people think that the show is in the future. In these shows it appears to be right now in terms of technology, but what is going on is obviously not what is going on IRL for all of us. I don't mean shows like 24 or Blacklist where "it's a government agency that you just haven't heard of" or Greatest American Hero where it occurs at the present time but involves "stories from a distant city that you just haven't heard of", but a very significant change to world events at the present time that effects every single living person.

It seems to me this is pretty new to American television and viewers have possibly only been able to accept alternate worlds over a very recent period of time, perhaps because of the mainstreaming of high fantasy fiction such as LOTR or GOT.

Most fantasy sci/fi push this off by explaining that the events are simply in the near future. Revolution did this and so does The Last Man On Earth. But the Walking Dead shows and I think Designated Survivor don't even bother and rely on you to accept an alternate world. What other TV shows do this? I suppose all the Marvel stuff does too, in those shows every single person is aware at this point of super powers and aliens, etc. What was the first TV show with a concrete alternate reality set at the present for that show?
      •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Fscking Moron
      • Re: What was the first "fantasy" TV show where the time is the present but the history is seriously divergent.
        Posted 10/12/2017 04:15 PM - Hide
      • Orange is the New Black
          [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Fscking Moron
      • Re: What was the first "fantasy" TV show where the time is the present but the history is seriously divergent.
        Posted 10/12/2017 04:21 PM - Hide
      • Dot587 posted:
        . posted:
        Orange is the New Black

No, that is just criminals you have not heard of at a prison you have not heard of, but the general facts of the world are the same.

:sad:
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 10/12/2017 05:48 PM - Hide
      • Boss de plane! yes tattoo the motherfucking plane dont make me have to explain it to your midget mind one moar timbe
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 10/12/2017 05:53 PM - Hide
      • Any show on BET TV.
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 10/12/2017 05:55 PM - Hide
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 10/12/2017 05:55 PM - Hide
      • The West Wing
        Posted 10/12/2017 06:01 PM - Hide
      • 24 did have Presidents who weren't Bush, Obama, etc.

How about Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? It also had a fictional President and conflicts between countries. But was that set in the future at the time? I've only seen reruns (obviously).
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 10/12/2017 06:06 PM - Hide

• Fuck - $50,000 ...
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 10/12/2017 06:07 PM - Hide
      • Fscking Moron
        Posted 10/12/2017 06:07 PM - Hide
      • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
      Save   Sage/No Bump
      Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.
      Pro tips: Click the angry emojis for popular emoticons/fomotes. Check the trending fomotes for new fomotes.