• Dave Ramsey's show is like a hilarious radio version of "Who Failed Today"

• Posted 05/19/2017 04:47 PM - Hide
      • Earlier today, some woman called in.

Both she and her husband are attorneys, each having graduated from law school 5 years ago.

She makes $40,000/year working for the local probate court; he makes $52,000/year working for a law firm. They live in Connecticut.

Their combined student loan debt is $500,000. :lmao:

That's not a misprint: gross household income of $92,000 in Connecticut, with $500,000 in student loan debt.

;lolol;
      •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Local milk person
      • Re: Dave Ramsey's show is like a hilarious radio version of "Who Failed Today"
        Posted 05/19/2017 04:49 PM - Hide
      • Something is missing here. Did they go to law school in the Philippines?
          [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Re: Dave Ramsey's show is like a hilarious radio version of "Who Failed Today"
        Posted 05/19/2017 04:55 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        Something is missing here. Did they go to law school in the Philippines?

:lol:

I know what you mean.

Dave basically told her that she and her husband need to figure out a way to get their household income up to $400,000/year, or else they're fucked.

Which tells me that Dave doesn't have a good handle on the legal profession today. Apparently he hasn't heard the stories about law school grads doing doc review for $12/hour.

If you're 5 years out of law school and are making $40,000/year, you're basically a paralegal and will never make the big bucks.
      • Local milk person
        Posted 05/19/2017 05:02 PM - Hide
      • Bloomberg Boi posted:
        . posted:
        Something is missing here. Did they go to law school in the Philippines?

I know what you mean.

Dave basically told her that she and her husband need to figure out a way to get their household income up to $400,000/year, or else they're fucked.

Which tells me that Dave doesn't have a good handle on the legal profession today. Apparently he hasn't heard the stories about law school grads doing doc review for $12/hour.

If you're 5 years out of law school and are making $40,000/year, you're basically a paralegal and will never make the big bucks.

I know a paralegal who makes close to $90K/year by managing a small paralegal business instead of being a solo contractor or a W-2 employee, and her paralegal employees make $25K - $60K. There has to be something wrong with these two that isn't being shared.
        Posted 05/20/2017 03:21 PM : Edited 05/20/2017 03:21 PM - Hide
      • The few times I've listened to his show it seems to be nothing but "pay your debts, pay your debts, get a second or third job if you have to, but for God sakes pay off your damn debts".

Does he ever tell anyone, defer payment and hope the company you owe goes out of business and then you'll owe nothing. Or make the minimum student loan payments that you're legally required to make and then the gubmint will write off whats left in 15 years. Or "Don't even open the mail if it looks like medical bills. Ignore it for seven years and in certain states you won't owe them shit after seven 7 years.

It's all "pay your debts, pay your debts, pay your debts" Seems like Jew advice to me.
          [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
        Posted 05/20/2017 03:39 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        I know a paralegal who makes close to $90K/year by managing a small paralegal business instead of being a solo contractor or a W-2 employee, and her paralegal employees make $25K - $60K. There has to be something wrong with these two that isn't being shared.

They're probably both betas who went to a shitty 3rd tier law school.

Unless you graduated from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc., the only way to make money as a lawyer today is to be a ruthless alpha. It's all about how much new business you can bring to the firm. Your litigation skills don't matter - it's basically a marketing/sales job.

The law business has changed quite a bit over the past 10 - 15 years. Today, if you can't solicit new business, you're going to be stuck making $50,000.
        Posted 05/20/2017 03:51 PM - Hide
      • joe mama posted:
        The few times I've listened to his show it seems to be nothing but "pay your debts, pay your debts, get a second or third job if you have to, but for God sakes pay off your damn debts".

Does he ever tell anyone, defer payment and hope the company you owe goes out of business and then you'll owe nothing. Or make the minimum student loan payments that you're legally required to make and then the gubmint will write off whats left in 15 years. Or "Don't even open the mail if it looks like medical bills. Ignore it for seven years and in certain states you won't owe them shit after seven 7 years.

It's all "pay your debts, pay your debts, pay your debts" Seems like Jew advice to me.

In this area, his advice is often conflicted and inconsistent. He pounds on people to pay their debts in full. But, he'll turn around and tell some callers to try and settle their debts for 25 cents on the dollar.

His most bizarre advice is about having kids.

DAVE, OUR HOUSEHOLD INCOME IS $40,000. WE HAVE $30,000 IN STUDENT LOANS AND CREDIT CARD DEBT. WE'D LIKE TO BORROW ANOTHER $20,000 FOR MY WIFE TO HAVE FERTILITY TREATMENTS. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
        \
        :whitetrash:

CHILDREN ARE A BLESSING. I'M NORMALLY AGAINST TAKING ON DEBT, BUT IN THIS CASE, SURE - GO BORROW THE MONEY SO THAT YOU GUYS CAN HAVE KIDS. YOU WON'T REGRET IT.
        \
        :gramps:

This is the same guy who tells people not to get a dog until they are completely out of debt, because dogs cost money. Yet popping out crotchfruit is OK.

:monkey:

If you're trying to get out of debt, having kids is about the dumbest thing you can do.
      • Local milk person
        Posted 05/20/2017 04:09 PM - Hide
      • A family friend visited a house in the same compound as Ramsey's about two weeks ago. After passing keypad entry you traverse, as a lyricist once wrote, a long and winding road. The gated community has only a few houses with plenty of security to keep the riff raff out.
        Dave promotes tithing but believes in the prosperity gospel of Joel Osteen et al. Has there ever been an honest real estate agent?
      • Local milk person
        Posted 05/20/2017 04:30 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        A family friend visited a house in the same compound as Ramsey's about two weeks ago. After passing keypad entry you traverse, as a lyricist once wrote, a long and winding road. The gated community has only a few houses with plenty of security to keep the riff raff out.
        Dave promotes tithing but believes in the prosperity gospel of Joel Osteen et al. Has there ever been an honest real estate agent?

not since Moses
      • Local milk person
        Posted 05/20/2017 04:32 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        A family friend visited a house in the same compound as Ramsey's about two weeks ago. After passing keypad entry you traverse, as a lyricist once wrote, a long and winding road. The gated community has only a few houses with plenty of security to keep the riff raff out.

Did you mean "Religious Agent"?
      • Local milk person
        Posted 05/20/2017 04:42 PM - Hide
      • Bloomberg Boi posted:

I know what you mean.

What the fuck do you know about it?
      • Local milk person
        Posted 05/20/2017 04:44 PM - Hide
      • Bloomberg Boi posted:
        Earlier today, some woman called in.

Both she and her husband are attorneys, each having graduated from law school 5 years ago.

She makes $40,000/year working for the local probate court; he makes $52,000/year working for a law firm. They live in Connecticut.

Their combined student loan debt is $500,000. :lmao:

That's not a misprint: gross household income of $92,000 in Connecticut, with $500,000 in student loan debt.

;lolol;

I heard that one. :lol:

I was hearing Jack B saying "she needs to work those holes."
      • Local milk person
        Posted 05/20/2017 04:56 PM - Hide
      • God Dammit.

That was me on the phone.

:sad:
      • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
      Save
      Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.
      Pro tips: Click the angry emojis for popular emoticons/fomotes. Check the trending fomotes for new fomotes.