Dutch trains become 100% powered by wind energy...
- 431 posts
- 284 topics
- Posted 01/11/2017 01:51 PM - Hide
- Won't ever happen here in the states; but, this sure is cool.
All Dutch trains have become 100% powered by electricity generated by wind energy, the national railway company NS has said .
"Since 1 January, 100% of our trains are running on wind energy," said NS spokesman, Ton Boon.
How Dutch and German train and bus firms are taking UK taxpayers for a ride
Dutch electricity company Eneco won a tender offered by NS two years ago and the two companies signed a 10-year deal setting January 2018 as the date by which all NS trains should run on wind energy.
"So we in fact reached our goal a year earlier than planned," said Boon, adding that an increase in the number of wind farms across the country and off the coast of the Netherlands had helped NS achieve its aim.
Eneco and NS said on a joint website that around 600,000 passengers daily are "the first in the world" to travel thanks to wind energy. NS operates about 5,500 train trips a day.
One windmill running for an hour can power a train for 120 miles, the companies said. They hope to reduce the energy used per passenger by a further 35% by 2020 compared with 2005.
- Deplorable F*ck-up
- Re: Dutch trains become 100% powered by wind energy...Posted 01/11/2017 01:56 PM - Hide
- if it aint lanteen rigged,or uses wires,converters or electric transmission in any way shape or form,it's not Wind Powered,supplimented maybe,the only wind is the marketteers any lying press
- Ceterum censeo Islam delenda est
- 11266 posts
- 1001 topics
- Re: Dutch trains become 100% powered by wind energy...Posted 01/11/2017 02:05 PM - Hide
- Throughout France, Germany, Belgium and Holland the train system is fucking great. Fast, efficient and clean.