• Limited will close all stores at end of business Saturday

• Deplorable F*ck-up
    • Re: Limited will close all stores at end of business Saturday
      Posted 01/07/2017 08:30 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      They're trying to sell shit made in China for $0.55 to Americans for $40. Not enough dumb Americans to support that kind of model.

This is true. A $50 shirt today from one of these types of stores will unravel and fall apart in no time. I won't pay $50 for that. $10-20 maybe.
    •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
    • Highly Deplorable
      Posted 01/07/2017 08:31 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Is that the clothing store for fat chicks?

No, that's Avenue, Torrid and Lane Bryant.
    • Deplorable Ramen Flavor
      Posted 01/07/2017 08:34 PM - Hide
    • There are a ton of other newer retailers that are doing great and experiencing rapid growth.

The Limited has been drying off for years. :boring:
    • I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/07/2017 08:34 PM - Hide
    • death2me posted:
      A much superior approach would be a basic minimum income.

:potd:
    • I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/07/2017 08:36 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Apparently their name referred to their term of existence.

Been around since the 1970s. I'd say they did pretty well.
    • I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/07/2017 08:37 PM : Edited 01/07/2017 08:38 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      death2me posted:
      A much superior approach would be a basic minimum income.

Basic income provided by the citizen taxpayers? Basic income provided by a new and large corporate tax, maybe I'd get behind. Corporations keep increasing their profits by getting citizen taxpayers to pick up their costs through ever expanding government welfare programs. This is bullshit and needs to stop.
    • I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/07/2017 08:40 PM - Hide
    • I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/07/2017 08:55 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Basic income provided by the citizen taxpayers? Basic income provided by a new and large corporate tax, maybe I'd get behind. Corporations keep increasing their profits by getting citizen taxpayers to pick up their costs through ever expanding government welfare programs. This is bullshit and needs to stop.

One for you, too.

• I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/07/2017 09:12 PM - Hide
    • Gruntled posted:
      How about the pride that comes with being useful to others or society as a whole and rewarded for your effort with a wage whose amount allows at least a decent basic lifestyle along with access to needs such as decent housing and medical care.

Folks typically do not appreciate that which comes to them easily.

Because you're a slave, dummy.
      :stewie:
    • I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/08/2017 04:49 AM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Under basic income, everybody would get the basic amount regardless of need. It would replace most existing benefits programs and be much simpler and cheaper to administer.
    • I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/08/2017 04:53 AM - Hide
    • Gruntled posted:
      How about the pride that comes with being useful to others or society as a whole and rewarded for your effort with a wage whose amount allows at least a decent basic lifestyle along with access to needs such as decent housing and medical care.
      There are lots of people who work hard but whose income doesn't allow for those things, or who are willing to work hard and whose skills are no longer in demand. We can't retrain every 50-year-old auto worker displaced by automation to be a software consultant or something. The economy doesn't need that many software consultants, anyway. In fact, it doesn't need the number of willing workers that is available.

We're transitioning toward a society where most wealth is produced by machines, not people, and we have to figure out how to distribute it. Basic income is a good first step. The conservative work ethic is becoming obsolete because we're reaching a higher level of economic development than the one for which that ethic was developed.
    • I'm Deplorable
      Posted 01/08/2017 05:10 AM : Edited 01/08/2017 05:10 AM - Hide
    • Gruntled posted:
      Will real-life retail stores shut down and eke along selling what they can via the Web? Cut costs to the max. If nobody has a job how can they buy shit?

Cry me a river. Under capitalism, some businesses fall, and others rise. This is especially true with fashion & apparel. Some brands get stale.

The Limited, Gap, Abercrombie, American Apparel have been falling.

Meanwhile, Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, Forever 21 have been rising.

Do you really want a no-competition economy, where established giants can just go on cruise control, with no chance for entrepreneurs to challenge them?
  • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
Save
Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.